Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chelsea Girls Response

Well, aside from this being a kind of movie that i don't typically attend or intend on attending. Simply because i have been raised on a narrative format my entire life. I found the film stunning and interesting even though at some times it was very awkward and I felt like I shouldn't be watching something so close yet so abstract from my own reality. In the first double set of multi-projected films there was a man (presumably on drugs) in a confession with the camera about what he could sense, and what he presumed people could sense of him. His words were poetic although close to absurdity and nonsense. In the reel played directly left of this one there was the reel of him in a social situation, exactly like he is speaking of. They are a in a movie theatre: a show of self-reflexivity that makes you think that any one of the people watching this movie could be in this film. But the light changes, if not the movement of the camera, distances the viewer from the intense actuality of the subjects in the image. The next two simulataneous projections almost plays opposites with the one before it visually, because the predominance of light and frame changes were coming from the left. But the right screen pops up first and the sound is obviously coming from its reel so "the pope" became the dominant figure of my attention. I would like to know what he shot up because I don't want it ever: it abviousley sent him over the edge. Crack kills, and I think thats all I have to say about that. Yes, it shocked me when he hit her but I've seen it before and visa-versa and she could hit just as hard as he did. So that wasn't as bad as just the situation going on... and on... and on... which made it so real. Nearly half of the reel was spent watching him in the dark screaming about this woman that offended him. That whole time I was wishing he would just get over it and stop trying to remain this disgusting character that he was possibly creating simply for the film. It was cool that the girl in the other projection seemed so linked to "the pope". she cried just after he hit up and after the girl gave her "confession" to "the pope" I noticed she had these pattens through the light that looked like the light shining through designs on a confession window.

No comments:

Post a Comment